Let’s be honest, despite the fact that everything imaginable seems to be available in pumpkin spice flavor, Halloween and Paleo do not easily go hand-in-hand. Of course pumpkin itself makes everyones’ Paleo acceptable list, as do pumpkin spice ingredients cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. But all of the pumpkin spice products that we are currently drowning in have little to do with Paleo or healthy. So, we have curated a list of the 7 best Halloween Paleo Tricks and Treats that we hope will help you and your family survive this week Paleo style.
As far as what to put in the dreaded bowl of treats for the costumed set that you are expecting on Friday night, fill it with candy! It’s not the night for Paleo guest lectures to your neighbors and their kids.
7 Best Halloween Paleo Tricks and Treats
- Chai Spiced Cookies (grain free, gluten free, and dairy free): Apparently if you add cardamon to cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves you have chai spice instead of pumpkin pie spice although I have seen recipes for chai spice that leave out the nutmeg and recipes for pumpkin pie spice that include cardamon. So, these cookies are either chai spiced or pumpkin pie spiced snickerdoodles; either way they are delicious and perfect for Halloween and on into Thanksgiving.
- Homemade Paleo Almond Joys: Unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut oil, semi-sweet chocolate chips, almonds and maple syrup should cause the store bought Almond Joy with its list of ingredients from a chemistry class to hang its head in shame.
- 6 Spooky Halloween Trick or Treats for a Paleo Party: If you are planning a Halloween party, bringing treats to someone else’s party or just feeling creative, look no further than these almond flour wrapped Halloweiners or this green slime pumpkin pudding. And here’s a trick, take this Paleo meatloaf recipe and turn it into a spooky Halloween “feet loaf”.
- Chocolate Covered Bacon: One of the delights of a Paleo diet is not feeling guilty about eating bacon, right? Dip bacon in Paleo friendly dark chocolate and who needs a Snickers bar?
- Paleo Mummy Dogs: These spooky hot dogs on a stick will win you big points in the cool mom department and they are totally Paleo.
- No Bake Twix Bars: If you are coveting the Twix bars in that candy bowl you have for your non-Paleo Trick or Treaters, don’t despair. Whip up a batch of this no bake Paleo version and help yourself in between answering the ringing doorbell.
- Chocolate Almond Cups: This is a Halloween tricked out Paleo version of Reese’s cups with almonds butter instead of peanut butter. If you want the spooky look you will need to find a Halloween mold usually available at Michaels or similar local places. They will still be irresistible even without the pumpkin faces.